StatCounter

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Friend Kenneth



Everyone, meet my good friend Kenneth.

Kenneth just turned two. We met in Kiboga, a rural district about two hours from Kampala.

He loves basketball (or at least I'm pretending he does, as evidenced by his "Slam Dunk" tee shirt). Kenneth also loves playing peek-a-boo, hide and seek, putting his fingers in his mouth, and exchanging lots of high-fives and hugs.

He approached me as a I sat on the steps of an IDI clinic in his village, and for the next 20 minutes, we giggled and played games. When I had to leave, he gave me a big hug and smiled. Kenneth is a bright, curious, social fellow, not to mention he's adorable. In other words, he's a normal, growing two-year old.

Except that he's not.

Kenneth was born with the HIV virus. His parents died from the virus. The doctors in Kiboga don't give him long to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment